Bundeszentralamt für Steuern

Use of cookies

Cookies help us to provide our services. By using our website you agree that we can use cookies. Read more about our Privacy Policy and visit the following link: Privacy Policy

Private Individuals

Tax return

Do you have questions about your income tax return? Are the forms looking for? Or would you like to know whether you, as a tourist, will be reimbursed for German sales tax?

Here you will find information on who to contact and where to find information.

In Germany, taxes are usually administered by the individual federal states. For you, this means that a local tax office is usually responsible for you. In some cases, customs or the BZSt are also responsible. You will find the right contact persons for the most common types of tax here.

Income tax

The local tax offices are responsible for all questions relating to income tax. This includes, among other things, filing the tax return, determining the tax and its settlement.

You can easily find your local tax office using the tax office search function.

The declaration forms for filling in and printing online can be found on the form server of the tax authorities.

You live abroad and receive a German pension?

If you receive a pension from the Deutsche Rentenversicherung and live abroad, the tax office in Neubrandenburg is responsible for your German income tax. The tax office has compiled all the information on tax liability and contact details for you on its website at www.finanzamt-rente-im-ausland.de.

Vehicle tax

Vehicle tax is administered by customs. Information on which main customs office is responsible for you, how the tax is paid or what benefits are available has been compiled by customs on its website.

VAT refund for travellers

Travellers from non-EU member states can shop in Germany VAT-free. You can find out which requirements you have to fulfil and how the refund is made on the customs website. You can also download the required form from the website.